Medical textbooks for the pda are a wonderful resource. The following is a list of my favorites:
Just choose a topic from the index and 5MCC gives you the Basics, DDx, Labs, treatment, and followup (all designed to be read in 5 min).
- 5 Minute Clinical Consult (HHM or skyscape)
If I could only have one text on my palm, I would have this one. 5MCC gives you the Basics, DDx, Labs, treatment, and followup (all designed to be read in 5 min).
- 5 Minute Pediatric Consult (HHM or skyscape)
is just like 5MCC, except it's for kids.
- 5 Minute Emergency Consult (HHM or skyscape) is
also easy to use and is great for emergencies on the medical floor as well as in the ED.
- 5 Minute Toxicology (skyscape) is a very useful reference for overdoses and suicide attempts.
- 5 Minute Infectious Disease (HHM or skyscape)
is a good reference. (There are good free ID references available, as well).
- 5 Minute Orthopedics and Cardiology (skyscape)
are also available. You can download a trial version to see if you like them.
- The Merck Manual (HHM) is a very good reference for internal medicine and tropical disease.
- Mosby's Drugs, IV Drugs, and Pediatric Drugs (skyscape) are great references when you
want to know more than ePocrates tells you.
- The Physicians Drug Handbook and A to Z drug Facts (HHM) are a very helpful reference to go beyond
ePocrates, as well.
- Principles of Critical Care (HHM) gives you useful information about ICU patients.
- The Redbook (HHM) is a good ID reference for peds.
- Surgical Recall (pdaMD) is a must-have for medical school surgery rotations. (you can get the rest of the Recall series at pdaMD as well)
- Ferri's Guide and the Washington Manual (skyscape) are available for Palm Os
(they don't have many of the graphs and figures, but are still quite useful). I have found that most people like the way the Ferri is set up
for pdas better than the way Wash Manual is set up.
- Harriet Lane (skyscape) is available minus most charts and figures. Still it is quite useful.
In order to read many document you need a document reader. iSilo allows you to read documents and to convert HTML documents to be
kept on your pda. There are many medical references that have been converted to iSilo format
(iSilo Medical Depot is a good place to find them).
You can download a demo or buy iSilo at iSilo.com